Limosa Holidays is the trading name of an unincorporated travel partnership, launched in 1985 by Chris and Barbara Kightley. Please note that bookings with Limosa Holidays are accepted only in accordance with the full Terms and Conditions set out below (also available in printed form upon request). The booking conditions below form the contract between us. Please read them carefully before booking.
1. Your Financial Protection: Limosa Holidays holds an Air Travel Organiser's Licence, granted by the Civil Aviation Authority. Our licence number is ATOL 2950.
When you buy an ATOL protected flight or flight inclusive holiday from us you will receive an ATOL Certificate. This lists what is financially protected, where you can get information on what this means for you and who to contact if things go wrong. For further information visit the ATOL website at www.atol.org.uk/ATOLCertificate
We, or the suppliers identified on your ATOL Certificate, will provide you with the services listed on the ATOL Certificate (or a suitable alternative). In some cases, where neither we nor the supplier are able to do so for reasons of insolvency, an alternative ATOL holder may provide you with the services you have bought or a suitable alternative (at no extra cost to you). You agree to accept that in those circumstances the alternative ATOL holder will perform those obligations and you agree to pay any money outstanding to be paid by you under your contract to that alternative ATOL holder. However, you also agree that in some cases it will not be possible to appoint an alternative ATOL holder, in which case you will be entitled to make a claim under the ATOL scheme (or your credit card issuer where applicable).
If we, or the suppliers identified on your ATOL certificate, are unable to provide the services listed (or a suitable alternative, through an alternative ATOL holder or otherwise) for reasons of insolvency, the Trustees of the Air Travel Trust may make a payment to (or confer a benefit on) you under the ATOL scheme. You agree that in return for such a payment or benefit you assign absolutely to those Trustees any claims which you have or may have arising out of or relating to the non-provision of the services, including any claim against us, the travel agent (or your credit card issuer where applicable). You also agree that any such claims may be re-assigned to another body, if that other body has paid sums you have claimed under the ATOL scheme.
2. Tours without flights: ATOL protection does not apply to all holiday and travel services in this website / brochure. For those not including the cost of a flight from the UK or for holidays booked by you as ‘Land Only’, all payments made to us are fully bonded through the Association of Bonded Travel Organisers Trust Limited (ABTOT). Our ABTOT membership number is 5230.
As a member of ABTOT, Limosa Holidays has provided a bond to meet the requirements of the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992.
In the event of Limosa Holidays' insolvency, protection is provided for non-flight packages commencing in and returning to the UK and other non-flight packages excluding prearranged travel to and from your destination. Please note that packages booked outside the UK are only protected when purchased directly with Limosa Holidays.
In the above circumstances, if you have not yet travelled you may claim a refund, or if you have already travelled, you may claim repatriation to the starting point of your non-flight package.
3. Provisional Bookings: We are happy to hold Provisional Reservations for up to 7 days. After this, we do require a Booking Form and deposit to confirm your place on tour. Any unconfirmed space will be released.
4. Booking Procedure: You can make a booking and pay the deposit simply and securely via our website. Telephone and email booking requests must be confirmed in writing with completion of a Booking Form (there's one tucked inside every brochure) and deposit, which can be mailed to us in the time-honoured way.
A reservation is made once a completed Booking Form, together with the appropriate Booking Deposit, have been received from you and confirmed in writing by us. At this date a contract will come into force between us. Our written confirmation of your booking means that we agree to operate your holiday as stated in the brochure. The contract, which is deemed to have been made at our offices in Stalham (Norfolk), is governed by English law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Whether booking by telephone, email, letter or online, it is implied and accepted that the 'lead name' on the booking guarantees that he/she has the authority to accept, and does accept, on behalf of the party, the terms of these booking conditions.
5. Booking Deposit: The amount of deposit per person is shown alongside every tour. We accept deposit payments by debit card, cheque (payable to Limosa Holidays and drawn on a UK bank in GB Pounds Sterling) or by electronic transfer (please ask us for our bank details). We also accept deposit payments by Visa and MasterCard credit cards, and do not charge a transaction fee on the initial minimum deposit (as detailed in each tour description).
6. Occasionally, where the airline requires full payment before they will confirm a flight booking, we may require an interim deposit from you, in addition to the tour deposit, in order to secure your flights. We will inform you immediately if the occasion arises.
7. Final Payment: Full payment of the balance is due 12 weeks prior to departure (20 weeks in the case of certain tours such as cruises or those involving rail travel). The date the balance falls due will be advised by us when we confirm your booking. We will send you an invoice before the balance is due.
We accept payment for balances or subsequent payments (e.g. interim flight deposits, flight upgrades etc) by cheque, electronic transfer or UK debit card. We also accept payment for balances / subsequent payments by credit card or overseas debit card BUT with a charge of 2.5% of the transaction amount to help offset card company charges.
If the balance has not been paid by the due date we reserve the right to treat your booking as cancelled and levy appropriate cancellation charges.
8. Late Bookings: Bookings accepted less than 12 weeks prior to departure must be accompanied by full payment at time of booking.
9. Payments: Please note that we do not accept post-dated cheques. We do not retain your payment card details which are destroyed once used (this means we may need to phone you again for card details for subsequent payments).
Payment by overseas customers must be in GB Pounds Sterling and may be made by electronic transfer to our bank (please ask for our bank details); or by overseas debit or credit card with a 2.5% transaction charge; or by cheque drawn in GBP and made payable to: Limosa Holidays.
Please note we do not accept cheques on US Banks in US Dollars, nor cheques in Euros or Eurocheques.
10. Land Only Bookings: IMPORTANT! Customers booking their own flights (i.e. land only bookings) should not do so until Limosa has confirmed the holiday will operate (at the latest two months before departure) as all group tours are subject to a minimum number of bookings being achieved, and are responsible for paying their own airport taxes etc and transport to/from the airport at the start / end of the tour. Please note we will not be held responsible for any cancellation charges you may incur occasioned by Limosa cancelling your holiday for whatever reason.
11. Cancellation: You may cancel your booking at any stage. Cancellation must be advised in writing by the 'lead name' (where possible) and takes effect on the day such notice is received by us. Deposits are non-refundable and all tour and interim flight deposits you have made will be retained by us. In the event of cancellation after the full balance is due, the cancellation charges payable to Limosa are calculated as follows:
85 or more days before departure: Loss of deposit only *1
84-43 days before departure: 50% of total invoice cost
42-29 days before departure: 75% of total invoice cost
28 days or less before departure: 100% of total invoice cost
*1 Plus any additional tour or interim flight deposit payments made.
To protect yourself against cancellation please ensure that you purchase good comprehensive insurance (see 28 below) as early as possible. If the reason for cancellation falls within the terms of your insurance, the above charges will normally be refunded to you by the insurance company less premium cost and any excess applicable.
12. If you are unavoidably prevented from proceeding with your holiday, you may transfer your booking up to 30 days prior to departure to another person providing the transferee meets any conditions which may apply to the booking. We shall make a charge of £50 per person for administrative costs, plus all additional charges imposed by our suppliers arising from the transfer.
If circumstances force you to leave a tour early, or follow a separate itinerary, you will have to bear any extra costs involved, although these may be covered by your Insurance.
13. Transferring between tours or changing your booking from 'flight-inclusive' to 'land only' (or vice versa): If you wish to transfer from one tour to another or in the event you choose to convert - where possible - a previously confirmed booking from 'flight inclusive' to 'land only' (or vice versa) a charge of £50 per person will be made to cover office administration and reissue of confirmation documents and certification.
We are happy to accept transfers providing this does not take place within three months prior to departure of your original tour, or this does not force us to cancel the tour you are already booked on, and provided we do not suffer costs incurred from our airlines and suppliers relating to your cancelled tour. In such cases, transfers will usually be treated as a cancellation and rebooking, and the relevant cancellation charges will apply.
14. Tour Alteration: We do everything possible to ensure each tour runs as advertised. However, we reserve the right to alter the holiday, or to substitute accommodation and/or leaders if necessary, in which case participants will be informed. Most such changes will be minor.
If a major change (see below) is necessary, or we have to cancel your holiday for any reason before the date of departure, we will advise you as soon as reasonably possible. You will have the choice of: (a) accepting the new holiday arrangements; (b) an alternative holiday if available (where this is of a lower price we will refund the difference, but where this is of a higher price, you will be expected to pay the difference); or (c) cancelling your booking in return for a full refund (save for any insurance premiums). Irrespective of which you choose we will pay reasonable compensation as follows:
Period before scheduled departure date within Compensation
departure date within which a MAJOR change per person
or cancellation is notified to you
More than 42 days Nil
42-29 days £10
42-29 days £20
14-0 days £30
Please note that a change of leader (see 22 below) does not constitute a major change. A major change to your holiday is one which involves a significant change of accommodation or itinerary; a change of flight time by more than 12 hours (but not a flight delay as this is covered by travel insurance) and a change in UK airport (except as between London airports). No compensation is payable in respect of other changes which are minor, or where cancellation or change is as a result of unusual or unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control the consequences of which neither we nor our suppliers could reasonably avoid, examples of which include: force majeure (war or threat of war, riot, civil strife, terrorist activity, natural or nuclear disaster, epidemic, fire, adverse weather conditions, non-availability of fuel; or industrial dispute which unavoidably prevents a carrier, hotelier or other supplier from performing their contract; the balance has not been paid by the due date; or the tour is cancelled because the number of persons actually booked is insufficient to operate the tour.
15. Group size, underbooking and cancellation: Our stated minimum number of participants for most tours is usually six, but we have run tours with fewer than this. Please note that we cannot accept cancellations without forfeit simply on the grounds that the tour is running with fewer participants than anticipated. In such circumstances, our standard cancellation terms will apply. The operation of all tours is subject to minimum numbers being achieved at least 70 days (10 weeks) prior to departure. If a tour is underbooked at that time we may defer cancellation but will inform you if the tour is not running no later than 6 weeks prior to departure. Save for the compensation payments set out above we will be under no further liability to you.
16. Pricing and surcharges: Prices in our 2017 brochure are based on costs and exchange rates at 27 July 2016. Please note that Limosa's policy has always been NOT to surcharge customers. Our No Surcharge Guarantee means the price you book is the price you pay, no matter how the Euro or US Dollar exchange rates move.
17. Price changes and Provisional Prices: We do all we can to avoid increases in tour cost but we reserve the right to change any of the prices, services or other particulars contained in our brochure, website and Tour Info Packs at any time before we enter into contract with you. If there is any increase in price or any significant change we will notify you before we enter into such contract so you can decide whether or not to proceed. If you have already booked and the price change is downward, the price you pay will be the new lower price. If you have already booked and the price change is upward, the price you pay will be the price in force at the time of our original booking confirmation letter to you. Prices within our 2017 brochure supersede all previously advertised prices. All information is given in good faith and believed to be correct at the time of printing. Whilst every effort is made to ensure accuracy, occasional errors do occur and you must therefore check your holiday details carefully.
Provisional Prices - 2018 Tours
Where we do not yet have costs from our suppliers for our 2018 tours, the tour prices shown on our website are marked as 'provisional'. You can book now on any of the 2018 tours listed, but if you change your mind when our 2018 Brochure is published / our prices are confirmed we will happily refund your deposit or transfer you to another tour. We expect 2018 tour prices to be confirmed during summer 2017.
18. Fitness to Travel: You must be fit and well to participate on one of tours. We rely on your own assessment of your own ability to take part. Under no circumstances should you travel if your doctor has or would advise against it.
Should any member of your party suffer from any disability or medical condition which may prohibit their full participation in the tour, please ring us. You must provide full details on your booking form including any specific requirements that person has. If you know that you need help, you should bring a helper with you, whose participation is subject to availability and the full tour price. Limosa Holidays reserves the right to decline any booking where we feel unable to accommodate the needs of a participant or the nature of the tour may be unsuitable for that participant. We reserve the right to refuse to take participants who have not provided all relevant details of any medical condition, disability, infirmity or other factors which affect your ability to fully participate in the holiday at the time of booking (or as soon as any such condition etc. develops, if later); and to cancel any holiday and impose cancellation charges in such circumstances.
Note that our tours often involve travel to remote destinations where the general levels of comfort and services are lower than would be found in the UK and the EU. It is essential that you understand the nature of the trips we offer and that you are able to participate in all the activities included in your chosen itinerary. If you have any doubts as to your own physical limitations then this is probably not the holiday experience for you!
19. Special Requests If you have any special requests (e.g. dietary requests, room type or location), these must be advised to us in writing at the time of booking. We will advise all relevant suppliers of your requirements but cannot guarantee that such requests will be met. Furthermore, Limosa Holidays has no liability to you if such requests are not met. We regret we cannot accept any conditional bookings, i.e. any booking which is specified to be conditional on the fulfilment of a particular request.
20. Extra Arrangements: Our office is always happy to quote for booking you separate, different or additional flights (e.g. domestic shuttles) to those of the group, or for additional accommodation at the start or end of a tour. We charge a fee of £35 per person for booking separate, different or additional flights to help offset the additional administrative costs and charges. We charge a fee of £35 per person for booking additional accommodation requests to help offset the additional administrative costs and charges. However please note that Limosa Holidays is a specialist tour operator - not a travel agent - and we do not offer a tailormade service.
21. Accommodation: We do our utmost to secure accommodation specified within our detailed tour itineraries. However, we reserve the right to change accommodation from that specified within our literature, for whatever reason. Whenever possible, changes will be to accommodation of equivalent or higher standard within the same general locale. Where this is not possible, we may occasionally have to settle for accommodation of a lower standard, in which event a pro rata refund will be made to participants after the tour.
Single rooms cannot always be guaranteed and bookings are only accepted on the understanding that you will consent to share a room in the event of unexpected lack of single rooms at any location (a pro rata refund will be made to you after the tour).
The tour prices in our brochure, website and Tour Info Packs are the cost per person based on two people sharing a room. In most cases, there is an additional cost to pay for single travellers wishing to occupy a room to themselves. This is the single room supplement as indicated in our brochure, Tour Info Packs and website. The reason for this supplement is that our contract with the owners is based on a price per room while our holidays are sold per person, including flights and other elements. Therefore the per person price for a lone traveller includes the entire room cost. We do not make additional or excessive profits from these sales, the prices charged merely reflect the real cost to us. In some hotels there are rooms that are designed for single occupancy only. In this instance there will normally be a supplement but this is usually less than when a single person occupies a twin/double room. These single rooms are often smaller and sometimes less well appointed. We have no say in the allocation of rooms and do not know which room you will be given as hotels will usually decide this shortly before you arrive and without reference to us.
22. Itineraries and Leaders: The birds, wildlife and itineraries within our brochure, website and Tour Info Packs outline our planned programme but are intended only as a guide. You should see a reasonable proportion of the birds mentioned if you have good eyesight and participate fully in the tour. Note that our tour itineraries do not constitute contracts and we reserve the right to change them at any time for emergency, logistical or other reasons so long as these alterations are in keeping with the nature of the tour. The final decision for any change rests with our office, agents and/or our tour guide(s) locally who are often best placed to assess the situation 'on the ground'.
We strive rigorously to ensure that all guides accompany their stated tours but in assigning leaders up to eighteen months in advance we reserve the right to substitute a leader(s) if necessary. Note that a change of leader(s) does not constitute grounds for compensation or cancellation without forfeit and our standard cancellation terms will apply if you choose not to travel for this reason (see 11 above). We will not be held liable for any loss whatsoever caused a result of any delay or alteration.
23. Photos: We reserve the right to take photographs during the operation of our tours and to use the resulting images for promotional purposes. By booking with us, tour members agree to allow their image to be used in this way. Participants who would prefer or require that their image should not be used must inform us in writing prior to the tour.
24. Airlines and Flights: Our holidays are planned well in advance and so we may not be in a position to state details of airlines, airports, flight timings or aircraft type in our brochure and tour itineraries. They will however be detailed either in your ATOL Certificate (if known at that time) and/or in our Final Letter sent about 2 weeks prior to departure.
We use a variety of airlines to our principal destinations and select flights that are direct to destination wherever possible. Flight information is outlined in the detailed tour itineraries. However schedules and routes may change and for operational reasons we reserve the right to change the airline or route for any particular tour. Any air travel that is part of any tour is subject to the conditions of carriage as stipulated by the airline concerned and liability is limited in accordance with International Convention.
It is our obligation to collect UK Airport Departure Tax in respect of flight inclusive tours. This amount is included in the cost of your holiday (as is VAT where applicable). Our tour cost also includes payment of local or domestic departure taxes in the destination country, where applicable. Travellers opting to book as land only and/or making their own arrangements for flights are themselves responsible for payment of all departure and other airline/airport taxes.
Surnames and forenames provided to Limosa must be given in full and spelt exactly as they appear in the client's passport - please take care to check this when completing your Booking Form. We accept no responsibility and resulting costs involved if air tickets are issued for client's names that do not match passport names. All passport, visa, insurance and health certificate requirements are entirely your responsibility and Limosa Holidays accepts no responsibility.
We require full passport details no later than 4 weeks prior to departure for airline bookings.
The governments of various countries require airlines to collect Advance Passenger Information (APIS) from passengers prior to travel. In most cases our office is required to input this data on behalf of tour participants prior to either the date of ticket issue or departure. The airlines will only provide each country's Customs and Immigration Authorities with the relevant information required by them, however some governments require airlines to provide them with direct access to airline passenger bookings (PNRs) which may contain other passenger data. It is important that the information is accurate so you pass through Immigration on arrival in these countries without delay.
We strongly recommend that you provide your Advance Passenger Information to the airline in advance of going to the airport. This is a prerequisite with certain airlines and destinations. You can do this online at any time in advance of your flight through Manage My Booking on the airline's website, or when you check in with the airline online. If you do not have internet access, you can usually give the airline the information at an airport self service check-in kiosk or airport check-in desk. Where you have booked your flights through Limosa and we already hold the necessary APIS, we are usually (but not always) able to enter the data on your behalf. If you object to us doing this for you and would prefer to enter the data yourself, please let us know.
25. Flight Delays: If flights are delayed due to e.g. industrial action, weather or volcanic activity, we will make every effort to assist you in making alternative travel, accommodation and meal arrangements, should these be necessary. Such arrangements are sometimes not covered by the airline, so please make sure your travel insurance covers any possible extra costs involved. If additional hotel nights are needed for example we may be able to arrange these on your behalf, but please note that you will normally have to settle these locally yourself and subsequently recover the cost from your insurers. Sometimes a claim can be made against the airline for these costs under EU or UK law. Again, we will assist you with any claim but please note current rules state that it is the passenger and NOT the tour operator who has to claim.
26. Client behaviour: You must at all times strictly comply with the laws, customs and regulation of the countries visited, and conduct yourself in a manner deemed by the leader to be compatible with the satisfactory operation of the tour. We reserve the right to dismiss from the group any person unable or unwilling so to do. Any person so dismissed shall have no cause for complaint or refund, and shall bear all the extra expenses of his/her return home.
27. Responsibilities and liability: We will accept responsibility should the services we are contractually obliged to provide prove deficient or not of reasonable standard. We will also accept responsibility for loss or damage due to the acts or omissions of our employees, agents and suppliers. We will accept responsibility for the negligent acts or omissions of our employees, agents and suppliers whilst acting within the scope of their employment in respect of claims arising as a result of death, personal injury or illness to the client. Claims in respect of the above matters shall (in respect of both liability and quantum) fall within the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England. All claims must be notified to us in writing within 28 days of your return from the holiday.
We shall be entitled to limit our liability in relation to the above in the manner provided by the relevant International Conventions in respect of air, sea and land carriage. We will accept no responsibility or liability in respect of: loss or damage to goods; loss, damage, delay or misdirection of your luggage and personal effects; death or physical injury unless resulting from proven negligence; claims arising out of carriage by air or sea (see above). We will accept no responsibility or liability in respect of claims arising out of your own acts or omissions, or those of a third party not connected with the provision of your holiday. Where appropriate and subject to our reasonable discretion we will afford general assistance to our clients who through misadventure suffer illness, personal injury or death during the period of the holiday arising out of an activity which does not form part of the holiday. We will accept no responsibility or liability in respect of losses or additional expenses incurred as a result of transport delays, flight changes or cancellations, sickness, quarantine, war, riots or political crises, threat of terrorist activity, strikes, industrial action, government intervention, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, weather conditions, flood, acts of God or other similar events beyond our control. Any additional costs that result, such as extra flights and hotel accommodation, will be your responsibility and must be paid for directly at the time.
28. Travel Insurance: Good and comprehensive travel insurance is essential before setting off on any overseas trip. It is a condition of booking with Limosa that all travellers are covered by comprehensive travel insurance and do not travel against medical advice. For further information see the About Limosa, Essential Information section
on our website.
You should obtain your travel insurance as soon as possible after booking your holiday to cover you against cancellation, curtailment, missed departure, delay, personal accident, death, loss of baggage and valuables, personal liability and legal expenses. Your insurance should also cover you fully in respect of medical care and repatriation should you become too ill to continue with the tour, including the cost of emergency evacuation by helicopter or air ambulance should this be necessary. Note that passenger liability insurance covering the transportation that we hire, particularly in Third World countries, may be inadequate; it is therefore important that your insurance cover includes sufficient provision for your dependents in the event of an accident.
Due to UK Government legislation under Financial Services Authority regulations we are not allowed to offer or recommend travel related insurance to our customers.
29. Dealing with Complaints: If you should have a complaint please notify our tour leader(s) as soon as possible in order that the matter can be dealt with promptly. If it is not dealt with to your satisfaction on the spot, the nature of the complaint should be stated in writing promptly and preferably within 28 days of the date scheduled for your return from the tour. In any event, we will not be under any liability in respect of any claim of which we are not notified in writing within three months of the date scheduled for your return.
If, despite our best efforts and having followed the above procedure for reporting and resolving your complaint, you feel that it has not been satisfactorily settled, we recommend that it is referred for arbitration under the ABTOT Travel Industry Arbitration Service. An Independent Arbitrator will review the documents relating to any complaint and deliver a binding decision to bring the matter to a close. Details of the scheme are available from: The Travel Industry Arbitration Service, administered by Dispute Settlement Services Ltd at 9 Savill Road, Lindfield, Haywards Heath, West Sussex RH16 2NY or from ABTOT, 117 Houndsditch, London EC3A 7BT. DSS are not on the Government's ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) list but still provide Arbitration. DSS will continue to be completely independent and impartial to maintain the credibility of the service but shall still be happy to speak to any potential claimants and advise them of their options, whether to pursue a claim in the county court or attempt mediation or arbitration. The scheme cannot however decide in cases where the sums claimed exceed £1,500 per person or £7,500 per booking form, or for claims which are solely or mainly in respect of physical injury or illness or the consequence thereof.
30. Mailing List: All names and addresses on the Limosa Holidays mailing list are held on computer. These are strictly confidential and NOT available except for our own use. If you object to your details being stored in this way please let us know and we will remove your details. On tours that we run in conjunction with another tour operator, airline or travel company, any details necessarily passed on will only be used for compliance with essential travel formalities.
Last revised June 2017